Flexible thinker, creative problem solver, collaborative managerial style, strong communicator.
Assistant Director, Northbrook Public Library
June 2016 to Present
Oversee “back of the house” operations of a dynamic suburban library including marketing, facilities, technical services, and IT.
Virtual Community Engagement Manager, Skokie Public Library
March 2014 to May 2016
Manage the Virtual Community Engagement department to create engaging web products and content for the library’s users and community. Manage and mentor three full-time and two part-time staff, including a web developer, content strategist, informatics librarian, and two production specialists. Participate in the senior management team and related committees to provide vision and leadership in the areas of digital strategy, technology, marketing, and online library services. Use analytics, user research, and testing to design effective online presences and services.
- Led the internal redevelopment of the library’s website through an iterative design process using wireframes, functional prototypes, and user testing. Streamlined information architecture and content to improve findability and user experience. Increased user engagement on the site, including 3x increase in chat sessions.
- Incorporated regular user testing into the design and development the library’s web products. Advocated and trained other teams in the library to use these approaches in their own work.
- Created a communications team that meets regularly to strategize and plan the library’s branding, marketing, and communications.
- Led an effective evaluation process to sunset a community information site (skokienet.org) and launch a new community site using the LocalWiki platform (skokiewiki.org). Created and hired a new position to lead this project.
Web Services Librarian, Des Plaines Public Library
October 2011 to March 2014
Provided strategic thinking and direction to the library’s administration and board about the Web and consumer technology. Developed and maintained the library’s website, staff intranet, Des Plaines Memory digital archive, and other library-related projects. Monitored and analyzed usage statistics across the library’s web properties. Trained staff and wrote documentation for new web based products and procedures. Led classes for the public on social media and technology. Created and curated content for blogs, social media, and Youtube.
- Led the redevelopment of the library’s website on a content management system using user-centered design thinking.
- Customized the user experience of OCLC’s widely ContentDM online digital collection management system and was invited to present that work at ALA and online webinars.
- Created a webmasters’ networking group for the Cooperative Computing Services (CCS) consortium to discuss website design, development, and usability.
Assistant Director, Professional Development Programs for Teachers, Newberry Library
May 2007 to September 2011
Provided superior customer service and maintained quality partnerships with over 60 schools and other cultural organizations. Responsible for overall operations for the department and the direction and management of the Newberry Teachers’ Consortium, a professional development program for Chicago-area secondary teachers. Redeveloped and managed departmental webpages and wikis.
- Increased membership in Newberry Teachers’ Consortium from 600 annual participants to nearly 900 in under two years, increasing program revenue by nearly 20%.
- Developed “the Newberry Minute” video series for Youtube which increased the library’s visibility and impact online. Worked with director to plan and implement web based collections of teachable documents (dcc.newberry.org)
Teaching Assistant, Northwestern University, 2004 to 2007
Prepared and taught weekly discussion sections for undergraduate students enrolled in lecture courses. Collaborated with course instructor and other teaching assistants to set weekly teaching agenda. Monitored student progress and met with students regularly. Evaluated student writing and assigned final course grades.
Reference Specialist, Boulder Public Library, Boulder, CO, 1999 to 2003
Provided customer service for library patrons including research assistance and circulation functions. Designed and maintained promotional displays for online databases and new reference materials. Participated in redesign of the department website and created a resource pathfinder for less experienced library users. Developed and taught classes on database use to library patrons.
- Master of Science, Library and Information Science, December 2010, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (LEEP Program), Urbana-Champaign, Illinois
- Master of Arts, English Literature, April 2007, Northwestern University, Evanston, Illinois
- Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts, English Literature, May 2000 and December 2003, University of Colorado, Boulder, Colorado
Skokie Public Library
Planned and led internal redesign and rebuild of library’s website. Oversee the content strategy and content production for the site. Visit
Coming Together in Skokie and Niles Township
Designed and developed marketing site for community-wide initiative to promote diversity and understanding across cultures. Visit
Des Plaines Public Library
Planned and led complete redesign and rebuild of library’s website. Visit
Des Plaines Memory
Created a custom, user friendly interface for an online repository of local history documents. Visit
- Committee Member, LACONI Technology Section, August 2015 to present
- Chair, CCS Webmasters’ Networking Group, 2013 to 2014
- Chair, Digital Training Materials Committee, Newberry Library, 2010 to 2011
- Committee Member, NMRT Student and Student Outreach Committee, ALA, 2009 to 2010
- “Top 10 Don’ts When Redesigning a Library Website”, April 2016
- “Secrets of Productive People: Slack, LACONI, March 2016
- “Ask an Expert: Using Meteor to Build a Summer Reading App”, District 219 Career Day, March 2016
- “Jobs-to-be-Done and Libraries”, Recharge Unconference, October 2015
- “Secrets of Productive People: Basecamp”, LACONI, October 2014
- “Better Websites Make Happier People”, Reaching Forward conference (8/2014), Public Library Association conference (3/2013), Illinois Library Association conference (3/2013)
- “Des Plaines Memory: Digital Collections, Community, and User Experience”, ContentDM webinar, October 2013
- “Des Plaines Memory: Discover, Share, Remember”, American Library Association conference, June 2013
- “History in the Making: Becoming a Local History Hub”, Reference Library Association-Continuing Education (RLA-CE) program, September 2012
American Library Association (ALA); Library and Information Technology Association (LITA); Illinois Library Association (ILA)
Welsh Who Built Chicago, 2016
Helped a client organize and build a dynamic database of historical information detailing the Welsh presence in Chicago. Built with Craft CMS and makes extensive use of Schema.org markup. Visit
Beth’s Little Bake Shop, 2015
Worked with client to plan and build a responsive site for a small, local bakery using Craft CMS. Conducted user interviews, helped client develop content strategy, and conducted user testing. Visit